We aim to create an inspiring and positive environment at the VIB conferences. Below you will find some of the guidelines we adhere to.
Code of Conduct
VIB Conferences are built on the free and open exchange of scientific ideas, and the contributions of our diverse conference community. In this spirit, we are dedicated to providing a supportive, collegial, and harassment-free conference experience for everyone, regardless of:
- gender identity and expression
- sexual orientation
- physical appearance
- body size
- age or
We expect conference participants to display respectful behavior at all times. It is okay to be critical or have honest differences of opinion but, we do not tolerate harassment, intimidation, or bullying of conference participants in talks, workshops, poster sessions, group discussions, social activities, or online. Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference with no refund, at the discretion of the conference organizers.
Examples of unacceptable harassment, intimidation, and bullying behavior
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Making comments, to an audience or personally, that belittle or demean another person
- Sexual images in public spaces
- Stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behaviour
Intimidation and bullying include, but are not limited to:
- Aggressive or browbeating behavior directed at someone during a public presentation
- Mocking or insulting another person’s intellect, work, perspective, or question/comment
- Making reference to someone’s gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion, or other personal attribute in the context of a scientific discussion
- Deliberately making someone feel unwelcome
Participants asked to stop any unacceptable behavior as described above are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in any of these behaviors, event organizers retain the right to take any actions to keep the event a welcoming environment for all participants. This includes warning the offender or expulsion from the conference with no refund.
Event organizers may take action to redress anything designed to, or with the clear impact of, disrupting the event or making the environment hostile for any participants.
We expect participants to follow these rules at all event venues and event-related social activities. We think people should follow these rules outside event activities too!
If someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, please report it as soon as possible, by reaching out to conference organizers, either personally or via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
When taking a personal report, our staff will ensure you are safe and cannot be overheard. You won’t be asked to confront anyone and we won’t tell anyone who you are.
This Code of Conduct is adapted from the BioC2019 Code of Conduct.